The Advisor Development Institute (ADI) offers faculty and staff the opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to undergraduate advising at NC State University. This professional development program is a comprehensive one that actively engages undergraduate advisors, advising administrators, and others committed to student success. Workshop facilitators come from across the university.
You can register for ADI sessions by logging in at reporter.ncsu.edu and searching using the keyword advising.
For more information about ADI programs, please contact Donna Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Advisor Development Institute Certificate
The Advisor Development Institute Certificate recognizes participation in workshops focused on the three core competencies identified by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA): Conceptual, Informational, and Relational. The certificate can be earned within one year; however, if an individual needs two years to complete it, that option is available. Recipients receive their certificates at the annual Undergraduate Academic Advising Awards ceremony each January.
Candidates participate in the following core workshops:
- Introduction to Technology and Policy — Part One — MyPack tools, key student success policies, and an introduction to GPS
- Introduction to Technology and Policy — Part Two — Structure of degree audits, application of credits, exceptions and waivers, and CODA policies
- Communicating with Advisees and Holistic Advising — Communication through an intentional process of guiding students’ growth and development
- Career Resources — Career Development Center programs and resources available to students
- Career Conversations — How advisors can facilitate students’ career decision making processes
- Inclusive Advising — What it means to serve all students equitably
Attending the Resource Fair for advisors and participating in three other sessions of the individual’s choice complete the participation requirements. A simulated advising appointment with feedback from an experienced advisor results in the completion of the ADI Certificate.
If you wish to pursue the ADI Certificate, please complete this Google Form. Donna Burton will then contact you.
Registration for Spring, 2020, workshops and the Resource Fair is available in Reporter.