Special Populations


Return to Advisor’s Toolkit

International Students

The Office of International Services is a great resource when working with international students. For specific questions regarding F-1/J-1 policies, visit this website. International students should remain at full-time status. There are exceptions to full-time enrollment.

Please advise your undergraduate freshmen to take FLE 101 during their first year since it will help them be successful in subsequent writing intensive courses.

International Exchange Students

NC State welcomes international exchange students from partner universities all around the world. Exchange students enroll as non-degree seeking students and may be at NC State for one semester or one academic year. The Study Abroad Office is the main point of contact for exchange students, and the Office of International Services handles their J-1 student visa processing. Exchange students may be undergraduates or graduates, and must take a minimum of 12 or 9 credit hours respectively. Please reach out to the Study Abroad Office (saoincoming@ncsu.edu) for assistance advising exchange students.

Native Fluency

For certification of native fluency, students will need to contact Dr. Dudley Marchi (dmm@ncsu.edu) with their full name, NC State student ID number, major, student’s language of proficiency and a brief background on how this was achieved.

Non-Degree Studies

The Department of Registration and Records administers the Non-Degree Studies (NDS) program. Visit their website to learn more about who is eligible for NDS, registration details, and more.

NDS students who want to withdrawal can do so using the term withdrawal in MyPack Portal. NDS students must fill out a form for late withdrawal requests.

For NDS students who are planning to apply to NC State, encourage them to visit Undergraduate Admissions in Peele Hall on Main Campus or the Graduate School on Centennial Campus.

Veterans’ Education

The Veteran’s Education office provides resources to student veterans at NC State University. Visit their website to learn more about military credit, residency for military and veterans, military resources, use of the GI Bill, and more.

Green Zone Training

NC State University is a veteran and military friendly space. Feel free to sign up to participate in a Green Zone Training to gain an understanding of the military experience of military-connected students and families who are transitioning to our institution.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

Some students may have interest in or be participants in one of the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs. We have three ROTC programs at NC State:

If students within ROTC want to change their major, be sure they speak with someone in their ROTC program first, as scholarships may be dependent on certain majors. Students may have a required four-year graduation plan to complete as part of their program, so be mindful of this when working with ROTC students. As the Advisor, you may be asked to approve the plan.

Federal TRIO Programs

Federal TRIO programs support the nation’s commitment to providing educational opportunities for all Americans to enter college, graduate, and move on.

Funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, there are three TRIO programs:

Students can apply to TRIO SSS and SSS-Stem programs through an online application. Qualifying for participation is competitive and students must meet eligibility criteria.

Wake STEM Early College High School

Some students entering into NC State may have participated in an Early College High School program. Wake County has a STEM Early College High School program.

Student Athletes

Most varsity student athletes will work with their athletic coordinator in the Academic Support Program for Student Athletes (ASPSA). Cheerleaders, who are not covered under NCAA eligibility rules, are advised within the colleges.

  • Student athletes receive priority registration, so keep this in mind with registration advising.
  • All schedule revision forms must go through the student’s academic coordinator in ASPSA.

Students Registered with Disability Resource Office

The Disability Resource Office (DRO) is a great resource for students, facult, and staff. Their goal is to help create an inclusive educational environment for students.

Students must registered with DRO in order to be eligible for reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. They will be evaluated individually by staff within the DRO office.

All faculty members will receive letters at the beginning of each term if they are teaching a student who is registered with DRO. That faculty member will need to review the accommodation letter and electronically sign the document indicating they have acknowledged the reasonable accommodations.

Transfer Students

For information about Transfer Students, visit the website provided by Undergraduate Admissions.

NC State has created a Transfer Equivalency Database that is helpful to use to see how courses taken at another institution transfer back to NC State. This is especially a useful tool for transfer students who may be waiting for their transcript to be evaluated.

For edits, suggestions, or comments regarding this page, please contact Donna Burton (djburton@ncsu.edu).