Academic Standing, Progress, and Readmission

Return to Advisor’s Toolkit

Academic Standing

A student’s academic standing is determined by their grade point average (GPA). Click here to see a video on how GPA is calculated. To learn more about how to calculate GPA, reference the Advising Equations document.

To view the policies on good standing, academic warning, academic suspension, and academic probation, view Regulation 02.05.01.

Good Standing

Students are considered to be in Good Standing if they are eligible to continue enrollment.

Academic Warning

When meeting with a student who is on Academic Warning, the online GPA Calculator is a valuable tool for monitoring progress.

The student can enter “right now” or desired letter grades for each course and see if semester and overall GPA goals are being met.  (See the Advising Equations document under Academic Standing for guidance on projecting a needed cumulative GPA.)

The Forecaster is a tool available in MyPack that a student can use to project the effect of changing one or more courses to S/U or dropping one or more courses.  The Forecaster is found on the Advising Dashboard for the individual student.

Academic Suspension & Grade Point Deficit

Academic Warning and Academic Suspension are based on a student’s Grade Point Deficit (GPD).

Academic Progress

A student’s academic progress is determined by the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.

If a student does not meet one or more of the SAP standards, they will be placed on Progress Deficiency and will need to appeal in order to be eligible to continue enrollment. Students need to be mindful of the deadlines to submit a Continuation Appeal.  That information will be in the email the student receives from Registration and Records.

End of Term Support

If you are an advisor guiding an at-risk student at the end of term, use this detailed checklist to support and advise your student(s).

Advisee SAP Appeal Roster

To see which of your assigned advisees are eligible to appeal for continuation, you can consult your Advisee SAP Appeal Roster in MyPack Portal. This page allows you to see each student’s criteria for being ineligible to continue, including last term completed, appeal status, whether the feedback is required, and if it has been provided. You can provide feedback on an appeal if you would like. It is not required for Advisors to submit feedback; third parties such as physicians and therapists may provide this information.

  • MyPack Portal > Student Information System > Advising tile > ‘Advisee SAP Appeal Roster’ menu

Grade Exclusion

To improve their term and cumulative GPAs, students have the option to apply a Grade Exclusion to a course where a grade of C- or below was earned. Undergraduate students have two exclusions of a course grade (with a maximum total of 8 hours for the two) available to them during their time in their undergraduate program as long as they have not applied to graduate.

If possible, have a discussion with your advisee prior to the application of a Grade Exclusion, especially if they have passed the course, or if the course grade might count toward another major if they switch majors. Important information about the use of a grade exclusion appears on the pop-up screen where the student chooses the course(s) to exclude.

Grade Exclusions can be processed by the student through MyPack Portal. For students who do not have access to MyPack Portal, they can fill out a Grade Exclusion Form  and turn it in at the Department of Registration and Records in Harris Hall.

Additional Resources for Students in Academic Difficulty

  • Counseling Center: Some students may be facing social, emotional, or psychological concerns, as well as other factors that may be contributing to their academic difficulty. Consider referring them to the Counseling Center.
  • Academic Advising Programs and Services: Some students may not be thriving in or are not satisfied in their current major. Considering referring them to Walk-In Advising through Academic Advising Programs and Services to discuss changing their major.
  • NC State CARES: For students who are not responding to your communication or who you are otherwise concerned about, please consider submitting a NC State CARES referral.

Readmission of Undergraduate Students

Students may choose to leave the university for a number of reasons. All students applying for undergraduate readmission and requesting in-state tuition are required to complete the North Carolina Residency Determination Service form prior to completing the readmission application. Students will need their Residency Certification Number (RCN) in order to complete their Readmission application.

  • When students are ready to return to the university, they must apply for readmission regardless of when they left and what their status is.  Students should be mindful of the application deadlines. There is a non-refundable Readmission Application Fee.  Information about Readmission is available at this website.
  • Once a student is readmitted, they will need to appeal if they fail to meet one or more of the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
  • Once students are readmitted and have an approved appeal (if applicable), you can begin advising them on courses to take in the upcoming semester. Keep in mind that students are welcome to visit Academic Advising Programs and Services if they are interested in changing their major.

For edits, suggestions, or comments regarding this page, please contact Donna Burton (