Networking Over Break
School breaks (winter, spring, and summer) are a great time to develop contacts that expand your career network.
- Ask family, friends, and professors for the names of people in fields of interest to you.
- Ask people if you can meet with them to learn more about their careers. Career informational interviews give you great insight into the day-to-day realities of a field. Here’s a website with advice about questions to ask.
- If you can, job shadow someone for a half-day to get an insider’s view of what goes on.
- Be sure to send thank you notes to everyone who helps you, and keep in touch later to develop the networking relationship.
- Update your resume so you can take advantage of networking opportunities on campus when school starts back.
- Follow up with your advisor directly if you have more questions.