Academic Standing, Progress, and Readmission


Return to Advisor’s Toolkit

Academic Standing

A student’s academic standing is determined by their grade point average (GPA). Click here to see a video on how GPA is calculated. To learn more about how to calculate GPA, reference the Advising Equations document.

To view the policies on good standing, academic warning, academic suspension, and academic probation, view Regulation 02.05.01.

Good Standing

Students are considered to be in Good Standing if they are eligible to continue enrollment.

Academic Warning

Academic Warning Resources:

When meeting with a student who is on Academic Warning, here are two resources you could use, to assist students with their academic success:

Academic Suspension & Grade Point Deficit

Academic Warning and Academic Suspension require calculations of a student’s Grade Point Deficit (GPD).

Academic Standing Flow Chart

See below for a helpful resource to better understand Academic Standing.

Academic Standing Flow Chart

Academic Progress

A student’s academic progress is determined by Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Click here for a video on understanding SAP.

If a student does not meet one or more of the three SAP standards, they will be placed on Progress Deficiency and will need to appeal in order to be eligible to continue enrollment. Students need to be mindful of the deadlines to submit a Continuation Appeal.

Advisee Continuation Roster

To see which of your assigned advisees are eligible to appeal for continuation, you can consult your Advisee Continuation Roster on MyPack Portal. This page allows you to see each student’s criteria for being ineligible to continue, last term completed, appeal status, and whether feedback is required and if it has been provided. You can provide feedback on an appeal, if you would like. It is not required for Advisors to submit feedback.

Grade Exclusion

As a means to improve their term and cumulative GPAs, students have the option to apply a Grade Exclusion to a course where a grade of C- or below was earned. Undergraduate students have two grade exclusions available to them during their time in their undergraduate program.

It is important to have a discussion with a student prior to them applying a Grade Exclusion, especially if they have earned credit in the course, or if the course will count toward another major if they switch majors. See the case study below for an example.

Grade Exclusions can be processed by the student through MyPack Portal. For students who do not have access to MyPack Portal, they can fill out a Grade Exclusion Form  and turn it in at the Department of Registration and Records in Harris Hall.

Additional Resources for Students in Academic Difficulty

  • Counseling Center: Some students may be facing social, emotional, or psychological concerns, as well as other factors that may be contributing to their academic difficulty. Consider referring them to the Counseling Center.
  • Academic Advising Services: Some students may not be thriving or are not satisfied in their current major. Considering referring them to Walk-In Advising through Academic Advising Services to discuss changing their major.
  • NC State Cares: For students who are not responding to your communication or who you are simply concerned about, please consider submitting a Students of Concern referral.

Leaving the University and Readmission

Students may choose to leave the university for a number of reasons. If this is the case, please consider sharing checklist for students who are not planning to return to NC State in the upcoming semester.

All students applying for undergraduate Readmission and requesting in-state tuition are required to complete the North Carolina Residency Determination Service form prior to completing the readmission application. Students will need their Residency Certification Number (RCN) in order to complete their Readmission application.

  • When students are ready to return to the university, they must apply for Readmission. Students should be mindful of the application deadlines. There is a $50 Readmission application fee.
  • Once a student is readmitted, they may also need to appeal if they fail to meet one or more of the three Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.  
  • Once students are readmitted and have an approved appeal (if applicable), you can begin advising them on courses to take in the upcoming semester. Keep in mind that students are welcome to visit Academic Advising Services if they are interested in changing their major.

For edits, suggestions, or comments regarding this page, please contact Amy Kish (

Finish Strong!

Drop In Tutoring Drop-in tutoring is available for Math courses: 107, 108, 111, 114, 121, 131, 141, 231, 241, 242 as well as Chemistry: 101, 201 and 221.  Hours and location are listed below. Fall/Spring Hours […]

Talk with an Advisor from Poole College of Mangement

On Thursdays from 2:00-4:00pm an Academic Advisor from Poole College of Management (PCOM) will have walk-in advising hours in University College Commons. Please check in at our front desk (2nd floor) to speak with her […]

Majors & Minors Fair!

The annual Majors & Minors Fair will be held on Wednesday, February 21, in 126 Witherspoon from 3-5pm.  Come and meet with representatives from all Colleges at NC State.

Welcome back for Spring 2018!

Mark your calendar for Career Connections, Saturday, March 17, 10am-noon. This will be a great opportunity to hear from professionals in a wide variety of career fields. More details will be available later on our […]