First-Year Student Registration Information
Welcome to the NC State University College, Exploratory Studies! We are so glad that you are joining us. This page provides the information you will need to prepare for registration for the fall of 2021.
Please note that New Student & Family Orientation has moved partially online for 2021. For more information, visit the New Student Programs page. In addition to our instructions, please make sure you complete the New Student Checklist.
You will be able to self-register for many of your fall classes before New Student Orientation. The information below sets out what you need to do to get ready. Please read the following information very carefully, and pay attention to deadlines.
IMPORTANT! You may have friends in different colleges and majors at NC State. It’s very important for you to follow the directions and meet the deadlines for Exploratory Studies. When in doubt, check this page!
You will work through the NC State online “Moodle” site to prepare for self-registration. Moodle is somewhat like Blackboard, Canvas, or other online learning systems. It will guide you through information you need to have and the tasks you must do. If you do not complete the Moodle site, you will not be able to self-register before New Student Orientation.
- Log in with your Unity ID and Password. Information on your Unity ID and Password is on the New Student Checklist.
- If you do not complete the Exploratory Studies Self-Registration Moodle site, you will not be able to self-register before New Student Orientation.
- For questions, please review the Exploratory Studies website.
- May 15, 2021: Deadline to complete the Moodle Site.
- May 15, 2021: Deadline to complete the online survey.
- May 15, 2021: Take your placement tests by this day.
- June 1, 2021: Self-registration for fall 2021 classes begins.
- June 11, 2021: Self-registration closes.
- June 17, 2021 – June 29, 2021: Attend New Student Orientation.
- Registration re-opens during New Student Orientation
- August 13, 2021: Late orientation for fall 2021
Dates may vary as we get updated information from our campus partners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I set up my email account?
Once you set up your unity account with NC State, you can log into your email using gmail.com.
- Your username: “YourUnityID”@ncsu.edu (you must have “@ncsu.edu”)
- Password: Same as Unity ID password
- View “Access Your Unity Account” at https://newstudents.dasa.ncsu.edu/checklist/
Q: What information do I need to have before starting the modules on Moodle?
- List of all AP and IB exams taken, with scores if you have them.
- List ALL of them, regardless of the score you earned, and regardless of whether you think you did well or not.
- If you took AP or IB classes, but did not take the test, do not list those.
- List of all courses you have taken at another college, university, or community college.
- Make sure this includes coursework taken as dual enrollment, as part of an early college high school, and for every college, university, and community college where you took coursework.
- List the course abbreviation, the course number, the title of the course, the grade you earned, and the school where you took the courses. (An unofficial transcript is helpful if you have it!).
- If you attended the NC School of Science and Mathematics, you may have earned college credit for some of your courses. You must have earned at “B” or better in the course (note that “B-” is not enough). Use the NCSSM Equivalency Finder and list any courses for which you will receive college credit. List your NCSSM course and with it, the equivalent NCSU course.
Q: Who do I contact if I have technical problems?
Contact the NC State Help Desk for assistance. Call 919-515-HELP (4357) or email help.ncsu.edu
Q: Who do I contact if I need accommodations for a disability in order to complete the moodle modules?
Contact the Disability Resource Office for assistance.
Q: When will I hear from my academic advisor?
Your advisor will be assigned to you a week or two before New Student Orientation. Watch for an email from your advisor!
Q: How do I access the Exploratory Studies Self-Registration Moodle?
- Click on this link and log into Wolfware using your NCSU unityID and password
- Click ‘Enroll Me’
AP/IB AND TRANSFER CREDIT
Q: Will I get credit for my AP/IB courses?
Q: Where do I find information on the NC State math and chemistry exam?
More information can be found on the Self-Registration Moodle site
Q: I don’t understand how to use the Enrollment Wizard.
- Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaKJil1Yq24
- Courses in your shopping cart will be blue. Once you are able to enroll, click the enroll button and the courses that you are registered for will be green.
Q: Do I enroll at orientation?
No. You will enroll before orientation. Follow instructions through the Advising Modules. Also, make sure you are checking your NC State email address for guidance from your advisor.
Q: Am I supposed to take ENG 101?
Students will take ENG 101 in their first or second semester.
Assistant Director for Recruitment
Academic Advisor and Lecturer