In lieu of face-to-face walk-in advising services during the COVID-19 period of restrictions, students will be advised virtually during the daily walk-In hours listed below.
Academic Advising Programs and Services provides walk-in advising for students who are exploring or changing undergraduate majors at NC State. Cross-curricular advisors help students evaluate potential majors, navigate the on-campus transfer process (CODA), and plan appropriate coursework as students transition between majors. To minimize wait times, advising sessions may be limited to 20 minutes per student. Please call in at least 15 minutes prior to the end of walk-in. Students who are planning to remain in their college or major need to see their assigned academic advisor.
Location and Hours
Location: Call the office main line at (919) 515-8130. The call will be routed to an AAPS academic advisor who will call the student back and advise via phone. If the student has access to the internet during the call, the student should pull up My Pack, the AAPS Explore Majors and Minors site, and the CODA site.
- Monday: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Friday: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
No Walk-In Hours will be held on Monday, May 25th or Friday, July 3rd.
Please note: Poole College of Management (PCOM) will offer zoom information sessions on the following dates and times (see website for more details):
- Friday, March 27th: 2:00 – 3:00pm Join via Zoom
- Friday, April 3rd: 12:00 – 1:00pm Join via Zoom
- Friday, April 10th: 3:00 – 4:00pm Join via Zoom
- Friday, April 17th: 2:00 – 3:00pm Join via Zoom
- Thursday, April 23rd: 3:00 – 4:00pm Join via Zoom
Thinking About Changing Your Major?
Before you attend walk-in hours, follow these steps:
- Use Explore Majors and Minors to learn about all undergraduate programs.
- On the individual Majors pages look at the semester-by-semester plans to see the course requirements for the major. You can see how your current credits fit into any major by using the Degree Audit in MyPack Portal.
- Each college and major has specific admission requirements listed under the Change of Degree Application (CODA); you will want to meet the “preferred” requirements for your intended major. Pay attention to the application deadlines! If you want to change out of your current college please consider our Inter-College Transfer (ICT) Program; students transferring out of Engineering can save the $750.00 engineering fee by transferring to ICT.
Note: If you are interested in transferring to the College of Engineering (COE) please know that the 2.0 minimum for “success” courses is only for students who are currently in the College of Engineering. There is limited space for other students to apply to COE and the grade point average requirements are very high (well over a 3.0 in most cases). Please review this data on students accepted into COE programs.
- As you work towards a new major you may still need to take the courses in your current major; check with your current academic advisor if you have any questions about requirements for your major.
Walk-In Advising for International Students
Virtual Drop-In Hours & Access
- Monday: 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Friday: 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Access: https://ncsu.zoom.us/j/834598579
Advising By Appointment
If your schedule does not permit you to attend Drop-In Advising hours on Mondays or Fridays, please feel free to email your questions or concerns to Tony Shurer directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Individual appointments can be scheduled as needed.
Services for Non-Degree Studies (NDS) Students
Non-Degree Studies Students – If you are taking undergraduate courses, you can ask questions through the virtual advisor or visit AAPS Walk-In. Non-degree Studies and Prospective Students can also visit University Admissions at the Joyner Visitor Center.
We do not offer services for graduate students. Please consult your academic advisor.