Walk-In Advising for Students Exploring Majors

Academic Advising Programs and Services provides walk-in advising for students who are exploring or changing undergraduate majors at NC State. Cross-curricular advisors help students evaluate potential majors, navigate the on-campus transfer process (CODA), and plan appropriate coursework as students transition between majors.  Appointments are not available. To minimize wait times, advising sessions may be limited to 20 minutes per student. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the end of walk-in. Students who are planning to remain in their college or major need to see their assigned academic advisor.

Location and Hours

Location: Holmes Hall (between the gym and Student Health)  2751 Cates Avenue, 2nd floor-PLEASE CHECK-IN AT OUR STUDENT SERVICES DESK

  • Monday:  11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday:  11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday:  2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
  • Thursday:  11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
  • Friday:  11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

No Walk-In Hours will be held on Thursday, July 4th.

Please note:  An Academic Advisor from Poole College of Management (PCOM) beginning September 5th through fall break is available to meet with students in Holmes Hall on Thursdays from 2:00-4:00pm.

Thinking About Changing Your Major?

Before you attend walk-in hours, follow these steps:

  1. Use Explore Majors and Minors to learn about all undergraduate programs.
  2. On the individual Majors pages look at the semester-by-semester plans to see the course requirements for the major. You can see how your current credits fit into any major by using the Degree Audit in MyPack Portal.
  1. Each college and major has specific admission requirements listed under the Change of Degree Application (CODA); you will want to meet the “preferred” requirements for your intended major. Pay attention to the application deadlines!  If you want to change out of your current college please consider our Inter-College Transfer (ICT) Program; students transferring out of Engineering can save the $750.00 engineering fee by transferring to ICT.

Note:  If you are interested in transferring to the College of Engineering  (COE) please know that the 2.0 minimum for “success” courses is only for students who are currently in the College of Engineering.  There is limited space for other students to apply to COE and the grade point average requirements are very high (well over a 3.0 in most cases). Please review this data on students accepted into COE programs.

  1. As you work towards a new major you may still need to take the courses in your current major; check with your current academic advisor if you have any questions about requirements for your major.


Walk-In Advising for International Students

International students are invited to visit with the Academic Coordinator for International Student Support. International students can receive guidance on a variety of academic questions and concerns. This includes major exploration, questions about changing majors, and general questions about academic policy. Students may also request assistance in developing strategies for academic success. This could include conversations about goal setting, time management, study skills, note taking, test preparation and more.
Students may be referred to other on-campus resources for additional support.
Location and Hours:  Holmes Hall,  2751 Cates Avenue, 2nd floor
  • Friday:  11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
  • Check in at our front desk on the second floor and mention that you want to meet with the Academic Coordinator for International Student Support.

By Appointment

  • If your schedule does not permit you to attend Walk-In Advising hours on Fridays, please call 919-515-8130 to schedule an appointment. Evening appointments are available on Wednesdays from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. 

Services for Non-Degree Studies (NDS) Students

Non-Degree Studies Students –  If you are taking undergraduate courses, you can ask questions through the virtual advisor or visit AAPS Walk-In. Non-degree  Studies and Prospective Students can also visit University Admissions at the Joyner Visitor Center.

Graduate Students

We do not offer services for graduate students.  Please consult your academic advisor.